Maana Electric’s goal is to manufacture entire solar panels from sand (on Earth) and regolith (on the Moon). Prior to processing these resources into usable parts for solar cell manufacturing the utilised raw materials need to be beneficiated. During this process the raw material is split into different parts/minerals which naturally occur in those resource. Control over this process by being able to manipulate the final compositions to the needs of the other subsystems is vital, to assure high quality products being manufactured at minimum power consumption and environmental impact.
Purpose of the project:
The purpose of the project is to use and analyze existing hardware to perform tests on sands and regolith simulants identifying the main optimization and improvement points based on the process physics and overall general behavior of the system. In addition, hardware modifications or even new design of prototypes can be proposed to optimize the separation and maximize the concentration in silicon, iron, titanium, calcium and aluminum oxides of enriched feedstocks.
Based on the new design, new prototypes or conceptual parts can be manufactured and assembled to be tested in order to achieve the beneficiation goals. As part of the testing campaign, measurements on actual samples may be carried out to understand potential for achievement of quality/concentrations, yields and resources requirements.
The candidate must have:
- • Master’s degree in Applied Physics, Physics, Material Engineering or Mining engineering.
• Fundamental knowledge of electromagnetic fields.
• Computer simulation skills such as Multiphysics or FEM/DEM.
• Previous experience with laboratory testing and samples analysis.
• Very good English language skills.
• Basic knowledge of lunar environment and lunar geology is an asset.
• Basic knowledge in space weather is an asset.
- Be eligible for working in Luxembourg (mandatory).
Starting date: December 2021 or date to agree
Duration of the internship: 6 months (minimum)
For confidentiality, the publication of the contents of the project may be subject to restrictions. If you are interested you can send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the subject “Ben2022(1)”.
Or apply using the form below.